What I'm reading at the moment

I will be posting a new review early next week but in the meantime I thought I'd share my current reading list. I like to have a few books on the go at the same time although it's my youngest daughter's 6th birthday on Monday and her excitement levels are rapidly rising so I'm not sure how much reading I'll be able to fit in the next few days...

Firstly then I'm about halfway through Life Knocks by Craig Stone and I'm really enjoying this one. It took me a little while to become used to the author's style but it's one of those searingly honest books that are coffee splutteringly funny one minute then deeply touching the next. I've taken a break to write this post but am really looking forward to reading more.


The next book I'm reading is A Body Displaced by Andrew Butcher. This is the sequel to A Death Displaced, a book I enjoyed but felt the story took a while to bite and the ending felt a bit loose. Nevertheless I knew this was a sequel I wanted to read. So far I'm not regretting that.




I've only read a few pages of Kicking the Sky by Anthony De Sa but I'm sure it's going to be a really powerful book. Set in Toronto in 1977 in the aftermath of the brutal rape and murder of shoeshine boy, Emanuel Jacques, I don't think it's going to be an easy read but I believe it will be compelling.


1920: America's Great War by Robert Conroy imagines an alternate history in which Germany won WW1 and went on to invade America. I have no idea what to expect, will it be a serious examination of what could have been? It's been a while since I read any Great War inspired fiction so I hope I'll enjoy this one.



Finally here's a sneak peek at the book I'll be reviewing next week, Ace, King, Knave by Maria McCann. I don't read a lot of historical fiction, certainly not set in this era (the 18th century) so did I enjoy this? You'll have to read my review to find out!









Comments